Are you interested in hosting a dinner party? If so, there are some things you will need to do to ensure everything goes smoothly and your company feels welcome. Make sure everyone has a wonderful time together by following these tips to execute the perfect dinner party in style.
When people come into your home to share a delicious meal, they will take note of the presentation, especially if you are setting a specific mood. To achieve the look you are going for, there are a handful of things you can easily do to pull it off in style. Here are some key points:
- Cover the table with high-quality and classic linen tablecloths. They are lovely, crisp, and perfect on any table. Select a minimal and subdued shade to blend seamlessly, or opt for a bolder color to bring some pop and contrast to your dining.
- If you have special dinnerware or a china set, why not use it? If you have but one set of dinnerware, that works just as well. The key to making it look great is setting it all up in advance of your guest’s arrival. Place the pieces on the table based on the occasion.
- Place water pitchers or carafes on the table with a condensation-collecting cork trivet underneath. This will anchor the water so your guests always know where to return it, and the pitchers stay within reach of your guests instead of collecting at the end of the table.
- Place mild-scented candles on the table so they will not interfere with your guest’s efforts to reach for or pass food to one another. If you are concerned about the open flame and safety, use battery-operated flameless candles as a functional alternative.
- Now you can decorate to your heart’s content. Go for seasonal decor or leave it simple and sparse to focus on the person across the table from you. Let your creativity and personality take over.
Watch this video for inspirational hosting tips.
Part of any dinner party is the cleanup, unfortunately. You no longer need to consider this a laborious and dull task. Instead, reframe it. If your guests are people you know will be willing and able to assist you in cleaning up after the meal, ask them to help. There is no shame in not wanting to stand over a sink of dishes after everyone goes home when you would rather relax or go to bed.
Instead, turn on a great playlist and get to work. You do not need to clean up your entire home or even everything in the kitchen. Focus on putting leftovers into containers and finally the fridge. Put serving dishes, pots, and pans into the sink to soak. Ensure everything else finds its way into the dishwasher, and you are all set. The heavy lifting is done so you can sit down with your guests and talk for a bit. The rest will be there in the morning and will be much easier to attend to.
Expectations can be very high when you are entertaining in your home. You want everything to be just right. You wish to show your guests how very welcome they are in your humble abode. These sentiments can lead to unrealistic expectations that leave you feeling stressed out instead of enjoying time with the people you enjoy. After all, the point of inviting people into your home is spending quality time with them and not scurrying around.
To that end, your best mindset for throwing a dinner party is one where planning is at the forefront. Preparation is essential as it leaves you time to ensure you have everything you need on hand well in advance of the special day.
Keep in mind that anything can and may fall outside your control and veer from your plans. Good intentions aside, your guests are there to spend time with you. They will extend you grace if the main course is burned. They will understand if you forget to pick up their favorite sparkling water. The important thing in life is quality time. And in today’s world, you can always order a pizza or have DoorDash deliver something delicious. Remember that you have options.
With these great ideas, you can get started on hosting your next dinner party. Make it a stress-free, beautiful, and successful occasion by getting your supplies prepared well in advance of the evening and inviting your favorite people. Serve delicious food and partake in sparkling conversation. Enjoy your time together.