It’s easy to get caught up with worries and cares during difficult times. Finding joy doesn’t involve a great deal of effort or money. There are plenty of ways to create more joy in your life right now!
A subtle shift in thinking can be powerful. Making a decision to be intentional about joy and fun will get your creativity flowing with your own ideas.
For now, here are some ideas to help you enjoy more happiness every day:
1. Turn off the news, TV, and computer. While these things can be helpful to keep you informed and entertained, it’s important to remember life without them. You’ll be amazed at how many projects you can complete without these distractions!
Especially in this bitter campaign season, it will help your mood to at least cut down on your news consumption. Besides, there is so much repetition, any important story is repeated numerous times.
2. Take a class. Almost everyone has a hobby they’ve been meaning to try for a long time. It’s time to actually do it. Take the plunge and take a class!
Most communities have a mail-out or website that lists their class schedule. You’ll find that they’re affordable too! Check your local park district and library for starters.
In recent years, I have taken art classes, writing workshops and have recently been learning how to make jewelry. None of these things are very expensive and they bring me great satisfaction.
3. Get in touch with a friend. The Internet has made it easier than ever to reconnect with people from your past. Whether you last spoke to your friend last month or decades ago, it can be a joyful activity. Reflect on your friendship and discuss the good times you’ve had.
4. Start a garden. There are many plants and herbs that you can grow both indoors and outdoors. Experiment with different plants or grow some vegetables that you’ll enjoy later on, too. There’s nothing like the taste of homegrown vegetables!
5. Go for a walk or a nature hike. Take your family or go alone. Walking and hiking can be a great break in your day. You’ll be able to reflect, relax, and enjoy the fresh air. Most people find nature to be healing and soothing.
6. Start sky gazing. On a peaceful, clear night, get in touch with nature in a different way. Enjoy the stars! Pick up an astronomy guide and learn to identify the planets and constellations. During the day, take moments to watch the changing sky.
7. Try journaling. It is important to record your reasons for gratitude each day and such reflections will contribute to your overall joy. Journaling is also a great way to reflect on your day and get to know yourself. For additional fun, pretend you’re writing to a long lost friend or write a letter to yourself in the future.
8. Learn to cook something new. It’s always a good idea to add exciting new meals to your repertoire. Find a recipe website or a cookbook and try something you’ve never tried before.
9. Have a game night. Gather your family together for some fun and games. Invite friends over to add to the fun. There are traditional games like Scrabble as well as something a little different and wicked like Cards Against Humanity.
10. Be a tourist. You can become a tourist without ever leaving your hometown. It’s likely that you haven’t been everywhere in your town. Pretend you’re on vacation and try all the tourist attractions. You’ll learn something new and may even discover places you’ll enjoy visiting often!
You’ll soon find that opportunities for joy in your life are around every corner. With a little creative thinking, you can have a great time every day, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money to do it. There is joy around every corner, if we take the time to encounter it.
How about you? How do you find joy? Come share your thoughts on Facebook.