Sometimes at the end of the day, I say, “My brain is tired!” Mental fatigue is a very real part of life.
Mental fatigue can definitely take its toll on a person’s well-being. It can actually be worse than physical fatigue because of a person’s inability to think clearly or express their feelings and frustrations. Worse still, mental stress is known to cause physical fatigue and illness, too!
Mental fatigue or exhaustion may be a result of your work, family life, conflict, or even a lack of quality sleep. If you have to make an important decision, mental stress can take its toll on you and can even lead to severe depression. This is all the more reason to avoid the consequences and implement strategies to overcome mental fatigue!
How to Relax your Mind and Boost your Energy
Relaxation is absolutely necessary to relieve mental stress and rejuvenate your body and mind. You’re probably thinking, “How am I going to do that?” Well, it’s easy. Here are some tips to help you reduce mental exhaustion and start implementing a relaxation routine:
• Take time out for yourself. Spend time in a quiet room where you can reflect and get in touch with your spiritual side. Everyone has a different way of self-reflection. Some pray or meditate, others write in a journal or diary, while others simply allow their thoughts to gently release into the darkness and quietness of the room.
At the beginning of every day, as part of my morning routine as I’m drinking my coffee, I take a few minutes to simply feel my feelings. I check in with myself. Am I anxious about something? Am I excited? Worried? Taking a gut check helps me to understand my feelings and temper my reactions.
• Get plenty of sleep. Mental fatigue can exist no matter how much sleep you get, but sleep does help refresh your body and mind. Getting adequate sleep will eliminate a lot of your day-to-day stress. After all, the body will have a chance to repair itself and recharge.
I suffered from insomnia for many, many years and relied on medication to sleep. Want to know what solved it? Hypnosis! Never in my life would I have imagined that would help, but now I sleep like a baby!
If you are struggling with sleep, be willing to think outside the box and explore options that might surprise and delight you!
• Free your mind from the problems that swirl around you. Take your mind off of those things that are causing you stress by working on a puzzle or spending time with friends and family. Or perhaps you need to go out for a nice dinner or weekend getaway to free your mind.
• Exercise regularly. Exercise causes your brain to release endorphins, which are known to make you feel happy. It’s like the body’s natural “high.” Even if all you can do is take a 15-minute walk, take it. That can be great alone time for you.
I work in an office all by myself. At least a few afternoons a week, I do an exercise video in the office. Look on YouTube. There are many free videos available. Pick one and give it a try!
For Christmas, I am asking my family for a yoga mat so I can do some back and hip stretching exercises at work. Stolen moment of time can make a big difference!
• Try breathing exercises. When things get rough, take deep breaths in through your nose, hold it for 10 seconds, then release. You’ll notice that this will relieve tension.
Every meditation starts with a focus on the breath. It is the essence of your life! Think about this as you deeply inhale and exhale and breathe in life!
• Take a day in which you can do things by yourself. Take yourself out to a movie, go to a museum or art gallery, or do something you’ve always wanted to do but never made time for. In doing so, you’ll be able to enjoy the peace and quiet of being alone.
For me, my favorite haunts are libraries, thrift stores and craft stores. I can explore and pick up a few things for myself without busting the budget.
Implementing Your Own Strategies
These are just some of the strategies to combat mental fatigue. You may have some other methods that help you relax and find peace in your life. Once you begin integrating these simple exercises into your day, you will begin to feel the weight lifted of your shoulders and before you know it, you’ll feel like a brand new person!